insurance not generally included in
shipping and handling charges unless explicity requested and paid for.
- FedEx ground automatically includes $100 insurance although we have never
managed to collect any claim from them.
- USPS mail insurance is available at extra charge, although we have never
known of anyone to collect on a claim.
- International shipments tend to have very restrictive upper insurance
- LTL freight insurance is standard but limited to 10 cents per pound which
is meaningless for anything but scrap steel.
- Optional additional insurance is available for LTL shipment through
freightquote.com with a premium that can be as high as 10%.
- Backhaul shipments are automatically insured to $100,000 limited by the
actual damage or fair market value of the item.
- If you want insurance, you have to
explicitly ask for it and pay in advance.
We are not big on insurance. We have never succeeded in collecting on a
claim. In a very limited number of cases, we might suggest it for
exceptionally high value items. We tend to favor putting money that would
otherwise go to insurance, into extra protective packing/crating and good
Industrial/Laboratory Equipment & Parts used and surplus
"If you are looking for something you figure is not available, we just
might have it."